Why the Indian middle class may resolve power problems!

Indian cities are today bustling with opportunities, buildings and new multiplexes. But then look in a bit closer, there are problems. An important issue is uninterrupted power! Bangalore city is today not just famous for its IT and Start-up prowess, but also erratic power supply and the familiar noise of Diesel gensets. They experience at least 3-4 hours of power cuts every day. Unfortunate, yet true.

So is there a solution?
A few citizens today are now setting up ‘rooftop’ solar panels and generating power. Apartment associations are also debating the long term return on investment of solar panels , inverters, power storage systems in long term. Although the initial cost  of setting up a rooftop solar plant might seem higher, the average daily running cost is relatively cheaper.  A diesel genset for example consumes 3-4 litres of fuel to generate 1000 watts of AC output.  Simple math would tell you the cost is only going to go up for daily upkeep. While a rooftop solar project will cost less over a period of 5 years or much more.

The middle class today buys apartments, villas and duplexes in the range of Rs.50 lakh to Rs.1 crore or even more. Would it not be efficient to set up a self sustaining electrical system as well?

13 thoughts on “Why the Indian middle class may resolve power problems!

1. Geetha B – London – I like all kinds of arts and mostly writing, painting, sketching singing and dancing I also like doing social/community work and am personally striving to institutionalize help to women in the MENASIA region through Microfinance
    Geetha B says:

Good article by Sanaj Natarajan. I saw it on linkedin but had not read it fully

Thank you, such great compliment!

Geetha B says:

Are you on linkedin Mihran? We should connect there if you are

2. mihrankalaydjianblog – San Diego, CA – Mihran Kalaydjian On a personal note, I love the outdoors, comedy, bbq, reading and traveling. I worked in the beer industry in college so I love talking about good beer. I used to be a competitive runner so (like all runners) if you make the mistake of asking me, I'll tell you about my entire career and PRs. I also spent my youth working in restaurants, so if you've done the same, we can swap stories. The five items I can't live without: Everything, infinity, wanton boredom, limitless limits, change. Mihran Kalaydjian, A proven ability to articulate a company's brand culture as well as key strategic initiatives and delivery of desired results. Outstanding leadership, communications and project management skills. A committed individual with strong organizational skills that believes leading by example is key to building a strong team to achieve high guest satisfaction results and cost control measures. Mihran Kalaydjian provides visionary leadership and management oversight of the sales, marketing and revenue strategies for Classic Hotels and Resorts. Mihran Kalaydjian suggest: Your energy should be focused on finding a solution, quickly and effectively. I am at my best when I have a tight deadline, but every aspect of the project is planned, organized and working in excellence.

I don’t use LinkedIn, as the profie is managed by young brother, since my parents invest in hotels business…Let me know if you have Facebook?

3. Geetha B – London – I like all kinds of arts and mostly writing, painting, sketching singing and dancing I also like doing social/community work and am personally striving to institutionalize help to women in the MENASIA region through Microfinance
        Geetha B says:

Is this you or someone else managing your wordpress account? The Mihran I talked with over skype knows I have facebook accounts and even followed me via his aunt’s account Sally or something – don’t remember her name

4. mihrankalaydjianblog – San Diego, CA – Mihran Kalaydjian On a personal note, I love the outdoors, comedy, bbq, reading and traveling. I worked in the beer industry in college so I love talking about good beer. I used to be a competitive runner so (like all runners) if you make the mistake of asking me, I'll tell you about my entire career and PRs. I also spent my youth working in restaurants, so if you've done the same, we can swap stories. The five items I can't live without: Everything, infinity, wanton boredom, limitless limits, change. Mihran Kalaydjian, A proven ability to articulate a company's brand culture as well as key strategic initiatives and delivery of desired results. Outstanding leadership, communications and project management skills. A committed individual with strong organizational skills that believes leading by example is key to building a strong team to achieve high guest satisfaction results and cost control measures. Mihran Kalaydjian provides visionary leadership and management oversight of the sales, marketing and revenue strategies for Classic Hotels and Resorts. Mihran Kalaydjian suggest: Your energy should be focused on finding a solution, quickly and effectively. I am at my best when I have a tight deadline, but every aspect of the project is planned, organized and working in excellence.

Hi Geetha – I am the one I manage my wordpres and no one else. I also have now my own Facebook account, here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/KalaydjianMihran
        You can connect with me on FaceBook as well. I hope I made myself clear now…Thanks

5. mihrankalaydjianblog – San Diego, CA – Mihran Kalaydjian On a personal note, I love the outdoors, comedy, bbq, reading and traveling. I worked in the beer industry in college so I love talking about good beer. I used to be a competitive runner so (like all runners) if you make the mistake of asking me, I'll tell you about my entire career and PRs. I also spent my youth working in restaurants, so if you've done the same, we can swap stories. The five items I can't live without: Everything, infinity, wanton boredom, limitless limits, change. Mihran Kalaydjian, A proven ability to articulate a company's brand culture as well as key strategic initiatives and delivery of desired results. Outstanding leadership, communications and project management skills. A committed individual with strong organizational skills that believes leading by example is key to building a strong team to achieve high guest satisfaction results and cost control measures. Mihran Kalaydjian provides visionary leadership and management oversight of the sales, marketing and revenue strategies for Classic Hotels and Resorts. Mihran Kalaydjian suggest: Your energy should be focused on finding a solution, quickly and effectively. I am at my best when I have a tight deadline, but every aspect of the project is planned, organized and working in excellence.

Hi Geetha – I am the one I manage my wordpres and no one else. I hope I made myself clear now…Thanks

2. Sue Dreamwalker – Each of us, carries within us the capacity to change the world in small ways for better or worse. Everything we do and think affects the people in our lives, and their reactions in turn affect others As the effect of a seemingly insignificant word passes from person to person, its impact grows and can become a source of great joy, inspiration, anxiety, or pain. Your thoughts and actions are like stones dropped into still waters, causing ripples to spread and expand as they move outward.. I hope that I can send a few ripples out via the web of life, as we each of us weave the threads together... Welcome to my Sanctuary of Peace and Love... May we each spread our Lights around our World....Sue Dreamwalker
    Sue Dreamwalker says:

It would indeed, what seems common sense by us, it appears is not always backed by those who make money out of high energy costs .. Here we have many more solar panels going up on roofs, but the energy companies are monopolising them and taking the profits back for themselves also..
    It is good to see our world changing its ways of Being 🙂 and thinking environmental

Sending thoughts your way my friend
    Sue

3. renxkyoko – I'm a molecular Biology and Forensic Biology graduate, and is currently working as a microbiologist at a dairy company. I have not stopped dreaming of playing in a symphony orchestra as a violinist. Maybe in my next life.
    renxkyoko says:

This is always good news. Good for India, good for planet earth.

4. KemdirimOkezie – United Kingdom – Kemdirim Okezie, Editor of Prestige and Power. I'm 17, a Beauty Consultant, Bookworm, Company Director, Creator, Designer, Gamer, Product and; People Promoter, Publisher, Student, and UK Based International Blogger. The way you live your life depends on you!
    KemdirimOkezie says:

Sustainable Solutions for 21st Century Problems! Good post!

Congratulations! You and your awesome blog, have been nominated for a Prestige and Power award. Please visit this link for more information. http://prestigeandpower.com/2015/10/07/prestige-and-power-awards-and-nominations/
    – Kemdirim Okezie, Editor, Prestige and Power

5. Sheri de Grom – Retired Fed/JAG, 5 yrs. on Capitol Hill. Former book buyer for B and N. Concerned citizen of military drawdown. Currently involved in mental healthcare reform, health care strategist and actively pursuing legislative change wherein dual retirees are exempt from enrolling in Medicare at their own discretion without losing tertiary healthcare benefits. Monitor and comment on Federal Register proposed legislation involving Mental Health, Veterans Affairs, Health and Human Services, Medicare and rural libraries. Licensed OSHA Inspector to include Super Fund sites. Full time caregive to Vietnam era veteran. Conceptualized, investigated possible alternatives, authored, lobbied for, and successfully implemented Title X, Section 1095 (known as the Third Party Collection Program of Federal Insurance).
    sheridegrom - From the literary and legislative trenches. says:

I’m totally in favor of solar energy. Solar panels were placed in the last homes built on what was once Fort Ord, CA. Unfortunately, Fort Ord was already on the military base closure and realignment list. Therefore, those of us in government did not see a long term break-down of cost/benefit. The homes were built because congress had already allocated the money years before. Talk about a waste of tax-payer’s money. Congress allocated hundreds of thousands of dollars for improvements on Fort Ord and those improvements were made after 7th Light Infantry had already moved out.
    I didn’t mean to get off on a tangent.

6. Jacqui Murray – Laguna Hills, CA. – Jacqui Murray is the author of the popular prehistoric fiction saga, Man vs. Nature which explores seminal events in man’s evolution one trilogy at a time. She is also the author of the Rowe-Delamagente thrillers and Building a Midshipman, the story of her daughter’s journey from high school to United States Naval Academy. Her non-fiction includes over a hundred books on integrating tech into education, reviews as an Amazon Vine Voice, a columnist for NEA Today, and a freelance journalist on tech ed topics. Look for her next prehistoric fiction, Natural Selection Fall 2022.
    Jacqui Murray says:

Interesting. I love the power of the middle class when we choose to act. Good article.

7. Ankur Mithal – Gurgaon, India – I have worked with large Corporations in India (mostly) and abroad (a few years) for almost a quarter of a century. One of my areas of interest is people behaviour in large Corporations. People includes bosses, colleagues and juniors. My observation is that while we are united in our effort to excel and do better than others, we differ in the means we adopt to achieving this. This results in some unique situations where people try to make themselves out to be different from what they are thereby creating situations that are both poignant and funny and, at times, downright disgusting. This is what I have chosen as the topic of my first effort at Blogging. Obviously, I have tried to dramatise situations to drive home the impact. Partly thanks to the feedback received on this Blog, I have managed to publish a book on the same theme. It is called "What happens in office, stays in office". The theme of the Blog has now expanded to cover current events as well. Life seems to continue to provide new stories every day.
    Ankur Mithal says:

Private groups, like apartment complexes, have set-up their own diesel generating systems that are reliable. However, they are much more expensive than the grid. When will the grid become reliable? Cannot say. Solar panels are becoming popular, yes. Can they meet the demand? Cannot say yet.